Our pool is always looking for new and friendly faces who are interested in working hard as a lifeguard. We focus on team work and communication and have an American Red Cross Lifeguard instructor on staff who will help with your training and any questions you might have. Though we're only open during the summer months you may turn in a lifeguard application whenever, either at the Town of Bluefield Town Hall or at Harmony Acres Pool.
We are excited to offer you the opportunity to work at Harmony Acres this summer by participating in one of our FREE American Red Cross Lifeguard certification classes! American Red Cross Lifeguard certifications are good for two years and will certify you in lifeguarding, first-aid, CPR, and AED use. By taking one of our free classes we require you to pass the class and sign a contract that you will work one year at Harmony Acres Pool - this is done so we can keep our classes free and give you a summer job.
We will be holding our American Red Cross lifeguard certification class on the weekend of March 15th, 16th, and 17th at Bluefield State College Pool. The class will be blended learning, requiring an online and in class portion to the class. Prior to the prerequisite test (which will happen Friday March 15th) participants will need to complete their online class segment (a link will be provided once you sign up for the class.)
This is a 3 day program meant to certify you in lifeguarding, CPR, First-Aid, and AED for Red Cross standards.
- Friday April 26th - 6:30pm to 8:30pm (Prerequisite test - in pool only)
- Saturday April 27th - 8am to 5pm (In class & pool)
- Sunday April 28th - 8am to 5pm? (In class & pool)
For the Prerequisite test students should be prepared to complete the following:
- 300 meter swim using front crawl and breast stroke.
- 2 minutes of treading water using only legs
- Swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10 pound object in 7 to 10 feet of water return to the surface and swim on your back to the starting point while holding the 10 pound object in both hands. Once at the starting point place the 10 pound object on the side of the pool and climb out without using a ladder within 1 minute and 40 seconds. ????
Participants should be ready for both pool and in class teaching.
To sign up, or for additional information, email us at